Kinkaku-ji was originally built in 1397 to serve as a retirement villa for Shogun Ashikaga Yoshimitsu. Today the temple is most famous for its pavilion, which features in Yukio Mishima's 1956 novel The Temple of the Golden Pavilion.
Kiyomizudera dates back to the early Heian Period, from the era before Kyoto was the capital of Japan. It is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Kyoto, alongside Kinkaku-ji and Arashiyama. Kiyomizudera is registered as a UNESCO World Heritage site.
The top attraction in Kyoto's Ohara area, this temple is famous for its ancient Buddha statues and beautiful moss garden.